There is a session today, and also the Santa Claus parade.
As you may remember, this runs on Bloor, just north of the Tranzac.
If you are coming by TTC, the Museum station I’d the closest on that that you out on the south side of Bloor. Alternatively, we theorise, you can go to Spadina and take the streetcar one stop south and walk west to Brunswick from there.
Good luck. See you soon, we hope, and sorry to have left it so late!
Rob and Donna
Just a quick note to confirm that we are hosting the session at the Tranzac Club (292 Brunswick Ave) tomorrow from noon until 3 p.m.
WARNING: SANTA CLAUSE PARADE and HOLLY JOLLY 5K RUN!
The Santa Clause Parade starts at 12:30PM, but the Holly Jolly 5K Run starts at noon just east of Bathurst, and follows the parade route. Some of you may recall needing to take drastic steps to cross Bloor St. due to the Santa Clause parade (which has also been known to wreak havoc with parking, drivers).
Warning: Parade route!
- Leave earlier than usual. Check out MyTTC.ca for travel times.
- Consider taking the Spadina streetcar south one stop, which will get you onto the right side of Bloor.
- Consider getting off a the Museum subway station and walking west from Bay to Brunswick. Museum station surfaces south of Bloor, and you may find the 15-minutes walk along Harbord (first street south of the station) more invigorating and civilized than trying to walk along Bloor.
- If you are driving, come very early and come from the south.
When you do make it, there’ll be tunes and pints (or coffee).
These streets will be closed at the following times:
- Bloor Street West: Ossington Avenue to Christie Street at 8 a.m.
- Bloor Street West: Christie Street to Bathurst Street at 10 a.m.
- Bloor Street West: Bathurst Street to Bay Street at 10:45 a.m.
- Avenue Road: Davenport Road to College Street at 10:45 a.m.
- University Avenue: College Street to Dundas Street at 11 a.m.
- University Avenue: Dundas Street to Front Street at 11:15 a.m.
- Wellington Street: University Avenue to Jarvis Street at 11:30 a.m.
- Front Street: Bay Street to Jarvis Street at 11:45 a.m.
The parade starts at Bloor Street West and Christie Street and can be tracked on the following route:
- Eastbound: Bloor Street West
- Southbound: Queen’s Park Crescent East
- Southbound: University Avenue
- Eastbound: Wellington Street West
- Eastbound: Front Street East, finishing at Jarvis Street
See you all tomorrow — or for the dance tonight!
Courtesy: Flickr Commons
Origina: Edvard Grieg Archives at Bergen Public Library, Norway (EGM0282)
Just a quick reminder about this week’s session, at the Tranzac Club (noon to 3 p.m.).
See you all there — it’s been a while!
Rob and Donna
This is to confirm that the session is on for Sunday, April 21, from noon until 32:45pm at the Tranzac Club. See you all there! Remember that Taxi Chain is playing right after us, at 3pm.
Please note that we are scheduling a weekend Québécois music workshop with Pascal Gemme the weekend of our next scheduled session (May 18-20, 2013). We will post more information shortly, so please save the date. Pascal is behind the Tradquebec blog and plays with Genticorum.
We will discuss whether or not cancel the Tranzac session for that week at our next session.
Just a quick post to let you know that next session is March 17 at noon to 3pm, and that sessions have been confirmed to the end of the year.
Thank you to Robbie at the Tranzac Club!
The “calendar” tab (above) lets you display or add the TOqueTrad calendar, which has the sessions and info on upcoming events like Chants de vielles (in the last post), as well as a selection of other events. You can follow individual events (or series of events), or add the whole calendar.
We just confirmed the new date for the session this January: please come and play Sunday, January 27th, from noon until 3 p.m. Also come check out a concert or a trad music workshop during the Chris Langan weekend, which is happening at the Tranzac in lieu of our regular Third Sunday meetup.
Au plaisir de vous revoir…
This is a quick reminder about the session this Sunday… TOqueTrad was written up in this week’s L’Express de Toronto this week. You can read the article online.
The annual Tranzac Artisan’s Gift Fair will be in full swing in the Tiki room and the Main Hall, so you might want to come early to check out the many one-of-a-kind items (and get your last-minute shopping done). After the session, stick around for the annual Seasonal Celebration featuring sword-dancing, Morris dancing, a Mummer’s play, a candlelight chorus and many lovely seasonal songs (not to mention the potluck dinner, so bring a main course, salad or dessert to share).
Unfortunately, Rob & Donna won’t be able to attend due to a death in the family. Anne and Peter have kindly agreed to host the session in our place (thanks to you both!). Please come out and support them if you can.
This will be the last session for our inaugural year: thank you all for your enthusiasm and the energy you bring to each session — it really means a lot to us. Let’s keep working together to keep this beautiful tradition alive and well in Toronto.
Joyeux Noël et bonne et heureuse année à tous ! On se revoit en 2013, je 18 janvier.